Sunday, January 15, 2012

Have you ever travelled anywhere in America that gave you bad vibes?

I've been to a few places that creeped me out. One was none other than Philadelphia. I didn't feel much brotherly love when I noticed the inner city looked like post-World War II Germany. I felt the same about Baltimore. When my ex-girlfriend and I drove there, that place looked like the Serbian army plowed right through it. Gangs looked very rampant. I remember scurrying out of there because I was afraid we would both end up in bodybags. I don't ride the bus back to Houston, where I grew up, for the same reason. The bus station is near the Fifth Ward in the middle of gangland. It's beyond me how the government can spend so much money nation building around the world, but we can't even fix our own streets. Many of these places look like Third World countries. Two years ago, I when I travelled to Canada, I was embarred to see how well kept the cities are there compared to ours. I went to what was supposed to be the ghetto of Vancouver, and it looked like a regular working cl neighborhood in any American city. You could leave your car unlocked, and it still wouldn't be stolen. The same was true about Toronto when I ventured there. None of the roads had potholes; there was no graffiti everywhere; the buildings were well-kept; and the sewer lines weren't bursting. Have you ever been to a place in America that made you feel like a fish out of water?

0 comments:

Post a Comment